Along With the Gods: The Two Worlds (Hangul: 신과함께-죄와 벌; RR: Sin gwa Hamkke - Joe wa Beol; lit. "Together with God - Sin and Punishment") is a 2017 South Korean action fantasy drama film directed by Kim Yong-hwa and based on a webtoon by Joo Ho-min, Along With the Gods. It stars Ha Jung-woo, Cha Tae-hyun, Ju Ji-hoon and Kim Hyang-gi.
The film was shot as one but will be presented in two parts. The first part, Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds, was released on 20 December 2017. The second installment, titled Along with the Gods: The Last 49 Days, will be released in the summer of 2018.
As of February 2018, Along With the Gods: The Two Worlds is the second most viewed film in South Korean film history.
Story of the death of an ordinary fireman named Ja-hong (Cha Tae-hyun) and Gang-rim (Ha Jung-woo), the head grim reaper who escorts Ja-hong to the afterlife, where he will assign a public defender to represent him in 7 trials in 49 days to find out how he lived his life and where he ought to spend the rest of eternity.
- Ha Jung-woo as Gang-rim
- Cha Tae-hyun as Kim Ja-hong
- Ju Ji-hoon as Haewonmak
- Kim Hyang-gi as Lee Deok-choon
- Kim Dong-wook as Kim Soo-hong
- Do Kyung-soo as Private Won Dong-yeon
- Jang Gwang as Jingwang, God of Violence Hell
- Jung Hae-kyun as Byeonseong, God of Murder Hell
- Oh Dal-su as Prosecutor
- Im Won-hee as Prosecutor
- Lee Joon-hyuk as First Lieutenant Park Moo-shin
- Kim Su-an as Taesan
- Ye Soo-jung as Ja-hong's mother
- Yoo Jun-sang as Ja-hong's Fellow firefighter
- Lee Jung-jae as Yeomra
- Kim Su-ro as Cat Girl's Father
- Kim Ha-neul as Songje, God of Betrayal Hell
- Kim Hae-sook as Chogang, God of Indolence Hell
- Lee Geung-young as Ogwan, Great King of the Senses
- Kim Min-jong as Afterlife Messenger
- Ma Dong-seok as Seongju
Along With the Gods took ₩40 billion (around US$36.6 million) to produce. Both parts of the film were shot simultaneously. Dexter Studios, one of Asia's largest film production and visual effects studios, who was behind director Kim Yong-hwa's previous film Mr. Go (2013), created the visual effects for the film. It was reported that around 300 artists and technicians took part in the film's production.
Chinese production company Alpha Pictures invested $2.2 million.
Filming began on May 26, 2016 and ended on March 22, 2017.
Along With the Gods: The Two Worlds was released in the Korean cinemas on December 20, 2017. The film was pre-sold to 12 countries and regions including: Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, the Philippines, Cambodia, Laos, the U.S and Canada at the Asian Film Market in Busan. Further to that, the film was pre-sold to another 90 countries at the American Film Market (AFM) in Santa Monica, California, U.S.A, increasing the number of countries released to 103 in total.