Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula is dedicated to identifying and meeting the changing healthcare needs of the people of the Monterey Peninsula and surrounding communities.
We are committed to providing high-quality services at a competitive cost and within a safe environment. We provide educational and public service programs to enhance the health of our community and the competence of those who provide the service.
We are committed to caring for all who come through our doors, regardless of ability to pay, to the fullest extent allowed by law and available resources.
Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula will be the healthcare organization in our region most concerned for those we serve, most chosen for the quality and value of our service, and most respected for the integrity, competency, and commitment of our employees, medical staff, and volunteers.
This is a tale of tractors, trees, two brothers, and a man named Tom Tonkin. An epic filled with generosity and vision, and an unparalleled sense of community …
1929 — Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula gets its unofficial start when a woman named Grace Deere Velie Harris — one of four heirs to the Deere tractor fortune — gives an endowment to create a Carmel clinic specializing in metabolic disorders.
1934 — on October 19, Grace Deere Velie Harris’ Carmel clinic is converted into a 30-bed general community hospital named Peninsula Community Hospital.
1950s — The paths of Samuel F.B. Morse and Tom Tonkin cross in most fortuitous fashion. In 1955, Peninsula Community Hospital hires Tonkin as the administrator. In 1919, Morse had created Del Monte Properties Company. Perhaps it was inevitable that Morse now decides to donate 22 prime, pine-tree-filled acres in the Del Monte forest as a hospital building site.
1961 — on March 29, “Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula” is officially adopted as the name of the hospital.
1962 — on June 28, Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula opens on Holman Highway. The 100-bed, 210,000-square-foot facility — the first community hospital in the country to offer all private rooms — costs $3.5 million. Two-thirds of those funds come from community donations. The hospital, designed by world-renowned architect Edward Durell Stone, is honored with state and national awards for excellence in architecture.
1971 — The distinctive dome over the Fountain Court is added, as are 72 additional rooms, including a mental health center. Half of the $4 million project is funded by community contributions.
1981 — on December 29, Community Hospital Foundation is created as the parent/holding company for the hospital and related subsidiaries.
1982 — The former Eskaton Monterey Hospital — opened in 1930 by brothers Hugh and Horace Dormody in downtown Monterey — becomes part of Community Hospital. Later, it is converted into a chemical dependency treatment center.
1983 — A 42,000-square-foot addition to Community Hospital’s main building opens. The new space houses outpatient, educational, and business office functions.
1988 — The Outpatient Surgery Center opens. It now handles more than half of all surgeries at Community Hospital.
1991 — The Rehabilitation Services department at Community Hospital is expanded.
1996 — The Family Birth Center opens at Community Hospital, bringing single-room maternity care to local families.
Community Hospital acquires a local home health agency.
1997 — The remodeled downtown Monterey facility (formerly Eskaton Monterey Hospital) reopens as the Hartnell Professional Center, housing outpatient mental health services, the Recovery Center and its Clint Eastwood Youth Program, the Cardiopulmonary Wellness Program and diagnostics, the Blood Center, a satellite laboratory, and X-ray facility.
In November, ground is broken for Community Hospital’s new Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Community Hospital acquires a second local home health agency, a skilled nursing facility at Hospice House in Monterey, and Hospice of the Central Coast.
1999 — The Comprehensive Cancer Center opens at Community Hospital, providing state-of-the-art diagnosis, treatment, and support for cancer patients and their families.
2002 — on March 4, Community Hospital’s new Breast Care Center begins operating on Cass Street in Monterey. The center offers comprehensive breast care services — everything from mammograms to biopsies — as well as screenings for osteoporosis.
2003 — Completed in June, a three-story underground parking garage, with 316 parking spaces, is built under the hospital’s main entrance, improving parking for patients and visitors.
2004 — Site preparation begins for the Forest Pavilion, which will add 120 new patient rooms, and the South Pavilion, which will add 135,000 square feet and centralize critical-care departments and related services.
The Ryan Ranch Outpatient Campus opened in July. This expansive, centrally located facility houses expanded Sleep Disorders Center and Diabetes & Nutrition Therapy programs, doctor's offices, and administrative offices for the hospital’s hospice programs. A new imaging center, an additional satellite lab, and a health resource library are scheduled to open later in the year.