2 South koreans have died of Middle East Respiratory Syndrom, the government said Tuesday, the contry's first confirmed death from the virus. The two patients - a women 58, and a man 71, died Monday, the Health Ministry said in the statement. Both were being treated for respiratory ailments in a hospital last month when they had contact with the nation's first patient, a 68 year old man who tasted positive after a trip to the Middle East. South Korea has so far detected 25 Mers cases - mostly found among the hospital's staff, patients and visitors - and more than 680 people have been placed in isolation after having contact with those infacted.
A version of this brief appears in print on June 2, 2015, on page A7 of the New York edition with the headline: Asia; South Korea: 2 Die of MERS Virus. Order Reprints| Today's Paper|Subscribe